Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Catching up on the heart space

In the last post, I caught up on the physical -- who what when where -- but didn't have much to share about where I've been. This trip is  hard to describe: is it a homecoming or a visit to a new place? Who is traveling: the person who left the US 30 years ago as a 23 year old Peace Corps Volunteer or the one who has those 30 years of experience under her belt (unfortunate turn of phrase, that)? The photo on the right is of my old neighbor and high school buddy, Jeff Davin, who seemed happy to get my call in his clinic near Cincinnati where I'd tracked him down through Google. He invited Komal and I over for dinner with his girls and his girlfriend that very night. That's Komal and Rosa with him in the other picture. What does it feel like to meet an old friend after so many years? Good. He seems happy and healthy and just as easy to talk to as he was all those years ago.We shared the broadest outlines of our respective journeys, our eyes acknowledging that while life is good, it's not always easy and rarely painless.

What's the biggest question right now? What happened to the captions that I put on those pictures? I was pretty proud that I'd figured out how to get pics from my new camera captioned and into this blog in the first place. Clearly my pride was premature. One step at a time.

Now that I've begun, I will write more often. Now it's time to bake pumpkin pie and pack up for the next leg of our adventure tomorrow morning. Indianapolis, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment