Sunday, September 26, 2010

Unfold your own myth

We're starting to develop a few good story lines on this adventure. Some of them have a decidedly comic tone: the collection of hijacked garage door openers [Shalini and Naresh, if you're reading this we're sorry, but we don't know which one is yours!] the highway driving courses, the invisible stop signs and more. Others have human interest potential: raising children, taking care of others, values that continue from one generation to the next.

But what strikes me in this moment is the number of times our friends have said "I wish I could do what you're doing."  It's reminiscent of what I hear when I tell people I retired 5 years ago, at the ripe old age of 47.  I've long since stopped telling people that they can do anything they want to. I never believed it. Until I did. But telling doesn't help. Then I started feeling a bit burdened -- I'm actually doing things others would be doing if they only knew they could; I should really make the most of this amazingly lucky situation for all of us!

I opened a page at random to begin this blog and saw Rumi's line jump off the page: Unfold your own myth. The relevant stanza reads: "But don't be satisfied with stories, how things/have gone with others. Unfold/ your own myth, without complicated explanation,/so everyone will understand the passage,/We have opened you."

So, this one's for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment